Tuesday 6 November 2012

Ye Olde York

Last week I spent Halloween in the beautiful city of York. With it's medieval architecture, narrow cobbled streets and it's old spooky atmosphere, it was the perfect setting for a night of frights and creepy goings-on.

It was a crisp Autumn day when we arrived in the City. rather than staying in a hotel chain, we opted for a quint little guesthouse about five minutes walk for the centre of York. Barrington House Guest House didn't look much from the outside but our room was very modern, a far cry from the floral wallpaper and garish carpets that you normally expect to find in a guest house. This room was very similar to a hotel and could rival the Hilton rooms, I can tell you! Choosing a modest sized superior room came well equipped with a king size (yes king size!) bed, sloping ceilings and a little glass jar with cotton balls. To me it is the little touches that make a guest room. The mirror in the bathroom even had infrared touch panels to turn the mirror lights on and off, very modern for such a old house.


Barrington House



The city itself never fails to impress me. I love the history, and I am normally so astounded by the sites I even forget to shop! I found the perfect little soap shop that sold so many sweets and treats good enough to eat. Sliced soap cakes stood on ornamental glass cake stands, glass chandeliers hung from the ceilings and a piano was set right at the back of the store, the keys held all different kinds of soap that smelt delicious. I off course had to make a purchase or two. I choose a body lotion and matching bath salts, both Cherry Bake well. The fragrance reminds me of Amaretto and seen as it is my tipple of choice I couldn't resists, however it has left me wandering of I smell a bit like an alcoholic that has has had a tad too many of her favourite drink...


The Yorkshire Soap Company



We stopped off at a few places to eat and drink. Oscars was a lovely little place that did a lovely lunch time menu. It proved very popular with the amount of people that followed us in, luckily we got there just in time tio avoid the mad lunch-time rush. I was treated to a lovely meal and a hot chocolate with a shot of amaretto. Lovely! Another place to visit is Wildes, just down the cobbled way from Oscar's. Wildes has such a feel good vibe, the waiters are lovely and the food is delicious. Candle lit tables, good food and a bit of Mumford of Sons, who can complain.







There was a gorgeous patisserie down one of the side streets (I really need to take notice of street names) that sold so many fancy cakes it was hard to choose just one. In the end I settled for the black forest, I wish I had thought to take some away to brink home, maybe next time.






The Minster at night is such a beautiful sight, with all the candles lighting up the old place. Although I have to admit I find old churches and cathedrals a little spooky at night especially on Halloween, you never know who is watching...





As you do, we stopped off at a few bars rather than going on one of the ghost walks. Wet weather is never a good thing when you are dolled up in a pretty dress. We giggled over a few cocktails and of course Michael (the boyfriend) was a little tipsy by the end of the night. Men just cannot out-do us ladies when it comes to cocktails!





I really enjoyed our little trip away and cannot wait until later this month when we head over to Manchester for the night to see Gotye! It may seem that I go here there and everywhere but it just seems to be the past month when all the nights away have come at once. believe me I wish I was one of these that could just flit away for city breaks whenever it took my fancy but sadly it isn't to be! My bank balance will have definitely took a beating this month, eek!


Themed wedding anyone??






























Have any of you got a little trip planned before the festive season rolls in?

D.x


No comments:

Post a Comment